AquaStar Plus! and Flow Through
Exhibition: Design for the other 90 | January 5, 2012 by oldadmin
AquaStar was designed to be sold to a high-end market to fund a lower-cost application in the developing world. The more expensive AquaStar Plus! is used in the harshest environments by travelers, military personnel, and rescue workers. Unsafe water is placed in the bottle and exposed to UV-C light, which damages the DNA and RNA in the pathogens, rendering them non-infective. AquaStar Flow Through treats water in larger batches. A small water-purification service can generate income while helping out the community.
- DESIGNER AND MANUFACTURER: Meridian Design, Inc.
- United States, 2005 and 2006
- (Plus) Quartz glass, argon gas, low-pressure mercury vapor (UVC germicidal lamp), ABS plastic, polycarbonate plastic bottle (body), fiberglass and epoxy resin circuit components, silicon, plastic, tinned plated copper leads (circuit board), lithium batteries; (Flow Through) # ABS plastic
- DIMENSIONS: (Plus) 9” h x 4” diameter; (Flow Through) 4”h x 4”w x 10”d
- IN USE IN: Borneo, Malaysia, India, Mexico, Peru, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Australia, New Zealand