Exhibition: Design for the other 90 | January 5, 2012 by oldadmin
Millions around the world, especially in rural Africa, live kilometers from a reliable source of clean water, leaving them vulnerable to cholera, dysentery, and other water-borne diseases. Water in adequate quantities is too heavy to carry. The Q Drum is a durable container designed to roll easily, and can transport seventy-five liters of clean and potable water. Rolling the water in a cylindrical container, rather than lifting and carrying it, eases the burden of bringing water to those who need it.
- DESIGNER: P. J. and J. P. S. Hendrikse
- MANUFACTURER: Kaymac Rotomoulders and Pioneer Plastics
- South Africa, 1993
- Linear Low Density Polyethelene (LLDPE)
- DIMENSIONS: 14” h x 19.5” diameter
- IN USE IN: Kenya, Namibia, Ethiopia, Rwanda, Tanzania, Cote d’Ivoire, Nigeria, Ghana, South Africa, Angola